< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Podobnik, future conflicts and all

by Tausch, Arno

25 February 2000 10:23 UTC

Very interesting. Although I absolutely share the concern of most of you
about continental Europe, the recent turbulences in Germanys  right wing,
and the developments in other countries, whose developments I criticize as
much as most of you do (you will understand what I mean and feel, ok), there
is serious reason to fear that conflicts in the world system will erupt
along the present unequal exchange axis and not along the old WWII
constellation. Since Gernot Kohler and I are involved in writing a joint
book on the political economy of global exploitation, I began to look again
and again at those revealing tables in the World Tables of Unequal Exchange
Paper written by Gernot. Did you all notice, that China according to Gernot
is THE VICTIM of unequal exchange (350 billion $)? That does not say
anything excusing on their terrible human rights record. But China,
Indonesia and Mexico head the list of the victims of unequal exchange, while
Japan, the USA, Germany and France are the top dogs. These massive phenomena
will create, my hypothesis goes, terrible conflicts, all the more so since
China by any standards is not a democracy in the western sense, it has a
military force, prepared to go to combat, a massive navy build-up (always a
sign of global power projections) and we quantittative scholars should start
to look at Gernot's magnificent tables also from a conflict research
perspective. How much, for example, do changes along Gernots Tables explain
changes in conflict intensity, both nationally and internationally?
Generations of good Ph.D. work could be written on such models, and it is up
to you, colleagues around the world, to start such research and publish it
in Journals like Journal of Peace Research and Journal of Conflict
Resolution and to run your world events and interaction surveys, your world
handbooks of political and social indicators, your high-speed computers, SAS
software etc at full speed to create quickly scholary knowledge on these
explosive issues, knowledge that serves also to act in favour of global
peace and global Keynesianism. Certainly, such Ph.D. work at major
Universities in North America would be more relevant than much of the stuff,
printed in many of our journals today. The primitive but pervasive
hypothesis is that unequal exchange leads to instability, conflict and war.

Kind regards Arno Tausch