< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: your mail

by colin s. cavell

27 January 2000 00:24 UTC

Am in strong agreement with AGF on these two issues, viz.: 1) against the
extension of the U.S. imperial realm by incorporating countries into its
hegemonic orbit which it deems meet its criteria of what a "democracy"
is; and 2) dismissal of the absurd and naive thesis that "democracies" do
not go to war amongst themselves and, hence, are more "pacific".

Not only do such propositions completely distort what is meant by the term
"democracy" (in the Aristotelian sense from his Politics, i.e.
"demos"--the people without wealth, and "kratos" or "kratia"--authority
of) but, moreover, they perpetuate the completely propagandistic attempt
by world capitalism to ingratiate itself with the interests of working
people.  Not only do modern American government textbooks oftentimes fail
to mention that Aristotle deemed democracies to be deformed systems of
government but, moreover, they fail to mention that even Madison in
Federalist No. 10 disparaged democracies because, he said, they "can admit
of no cure for the mischiefs of faction."

Democracies, from Madison's perspective, "have ever been spectacles of
turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal
security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in
their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."  Hence, for
Madison and the Federalists, a republic (i.e. a representative government)
was necessary, not only because it presumably could be applicable to a
greater sphere of territory and larger number of citizens, but, more to
the point, he states, because the effect of representation is:  "to refine
and enlarge the public views, by passing them through the medium of a
chosen body of citizens, whose wisdom may best discern the true interest
of their country, and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least
likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations."  Such
distrust of the average people is continuous throughout The Federalist
Papers, hence the scheme for political control of a few so-called
"representatives".  One can quickly see the absurdity of such a
proposition simply by looking at the propagandistic attempt of
Congressional members to milk the Elian Gonzalez affair for all of its
anti-communist potential possible while poll after poll indicates that the
American people themselves indicate that they are not swayed by temporary
or partial considerations but instead recognize the basic truth at stake,
viz. the need to return a kidnapped child to his father.

The course of world development, however, has not been kind to oppressors,
particularly those who dismiss the interests of the vast majority of
people in the world today, the modern international working class.  Thus,
it has been a matter of necessity, beginning in the late nineteenth
century, but further consolidated in the twentieth century, for all
governments which aspire to legitimacy to cradle the mantle of "democracy"
and claim to serve the interests of "all" of its citizenry, at least all
of those officially deemed to be such.  But one need not be a social
scientist to realize that capitalism has been unable--because it is not
structured as such--to serve the interests of all people existing within
the confines of its operational parameters.  And as WSN is a listserv
primarily for the search for regularities, axiomatic propositions or
applications, and theoretical insights, or collectively what is better
known as the truth regarding world systems, we need not, and indeed should
not, allow supposedly patriotic musings to be posted uncritically, less
one presume they possess scientific validity.

Outright dismissal is usually my response to such pedestrian and trite
postings, especially because of their overusage, but it is refeshing and
beneficial to the World Systems list that AGF, amongst others, openly
critiques such misguided, and/or confused or simply false, notions.

Colin S. Cavell                        For each new class which puts
Department of Political Science        itself in the place of one ruling
Thompson Tower                         before it, is compelled, merely in
Box 37520                              order to carry through its aim, to
University of Massachusetts            represent its interest as the
Amherst, MA  01003-7520                common interest of all the members
INTERNET:  cscpo@polsci.umass.edu      of society, that is, expressed in
VOICE:  (413) 546-3408                 ideal form: it has to give its
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cscpo   ideas the form of universality, and
                                       represent them as the only
                                       rational, universally valid ones.
                                       --Karl Marx, "The German Ideology,"