< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

No Subject

by Gunder Frank

25 January 2000 19:07 UTC

Someone wrote on WSN that

 We must have a political, military, and economic union of the
democracies.  The door must be left open for any other country to come in
as soon as it meets the criteria set up by the founding democracies.
Just as freedom, liberty, and security have increased the bigger the U.S.
has become, so the same will
be true as we unite the democracies.

AGF again: Well, we just had exactly that in the NATO war against
Yugoslavia and Kosovo. And look at the results: wanton destruction
of life, property, environment and all in the second and in the
first complete disregards of national democratic and constitutional process
[not a single parliamente was consulted, US, German and otehr
constitutions violated] and the complete destruction of international
UN institutuions and law. Three countries in Central Europe just joined
this venture, and the original writer wants more to join? What world is
s/he living in? Answer: None.,

How can this kind of fallacy of misplaced concreteness appear on a WORLD
SYSTEM net, devoted to how it is participation in a WORLD system that is
determinant or at least influential in t he condition and behavior of its
individual parts?  For this nonsense about democracy follows the writer's
tired old gibberish about demomcracies not ging to war among themselves
while dictatorships do. Proof again that cross-sectinal
comparative analysis of the parts not only obscures the whole system bu
totally distort s any possible view of the parts themselves. Where in that
'analysis' are the dozens of dictatoships created/supported/prolonged
by US democracy? Or US/French/ British and now NATO "democracies"'
military intervention and agression arond the world? Indeed the creation
BY the 'democracies' of the very conditions elsewhere that the writer
laments? what does s/he think the battle about the WTO was about?

How about the writer taking a course in World Systems Analysis 101 ?

Even then s/he would probably flunk

                     ANDRE GUNDER FRANK
          Visiting Professor  of  International Relations
University of Miami           &         Florida International University

380 Giralda Ave. Apt 704                Tel: 1-305-648 1906
Miami - Coral Gables FL                 Fax: 1-305-648 0149
USA  33134                              e-mail:agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca

Personal/Professional Home Page> http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/agfrank/

My NATO/Kosovo Page> http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/agfrank/nato_kosovo/

My professional/personal conclusion is the same as Pogo's -
            We have met the enemy, and it is US