< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: leftism LITE

by Ed Weick

29 November 1999 19:52 UTC

I too have felt that some postings on this list have reflected a banality,
blindness and immaturity which shows no understanding either of history or
the present realities that people must deal with in their already very
difficult lives.  I had thought of giving up on the list several times and
leaving it to those who cannot see the relationship between slogans,
stereotypes and theoretical cant on the one hand and the killing fields and
gulags on the other.  It is postings like yours that keep me hanging in.

Ed Weick

>Dear WSN,
>
>this letter is of two parts. First, I try to articulate what has been
>bothering me about the "violence" discussions so far; second, I put in my 2
>cents' worth re: Stalinism.
>
>Alan Spectors writes:
>
>|It is correct, of course, to say: "Don't take violence lightly." It is
>|too easy for those in relatively comfortable places to spill the blood of
>|others easily.
>
>I agree, and this was very much part of my initial "machine gun" comment. I
>also wanted to suggest, however, that there is an enormous amount of verbal
>irresponsibility going on in this discussion.  And of course here we are
>talking about *talking about* spilling others' blood. This I call puerile
>and, again, for lack of a better word, irresponsible. This is leftism-LITE.

Etc.