< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

[Fwd: NYU Press We Are Not What We Seem]

by christopher chase-dunn

24 November 1999 14:06 UTC

Title: NYU Press : We Are Not What We Seem

NYU Press

About the Press
Reader Participation
Events and Exhibits
NYU Press Links
Feedback and Help
 BookStore: Purchase our books online
History
You have selected a book in History. To continue your search use the tools below:

Browse all titles in History:
View All

Browse all titles:

Monthly Sale BooksOn Sale Now
20% discount for these titles:

Global Obscenities

Cadres for Conservatism

Why America Stopped Voting

Civil Society

Use our extended search

Super Word Search

ISBN 0814713173
PURCHASE

Your Selection

We Are Not What We Seem
Black Nationalism and Class Struggle in the American Century
Rod Bush

History / Pub. 11/30/98 / 336 pages
ISBN: 0814713173 / $55.00 cloth
ISBN: 0814713181 / $19.00 paper

An "Indispensable" Book of The Black World Today website

"In broad strokes, Bush takes readers from the early challenges to the accommodationism of Booker T. Washington through the tumultuous years of the 1960s."
--Choice

"This story of Black social movements in the U.S., as seen from the inside by a theoretically sophisticated and committed analyst, is mandatory reading for those who don't know this story, which is most of us."
--Immanuel Wallerstein

"A crucially important and incisive work on the Black Power movement, its aftermath and its antecedents. By not treating race and class as an 'either/or' proposition . . . Bush has given us one of the most comprehensive analyses of the current crisis of Black leadership that I've read in a very long time, on par with Harold Cruse's classic Crisis of the Negro Intellectual and Cedric Robinson's Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition."
--Robin D. G. Kelley

"Fascinating . . . A must read for students of politics and social movements and a basic text for Black militants and students in Black Studies."
--Abdul Alkalimat, The University of Toledo

Much has been written about the Black Power movement in the United States. Most of this work, however, tends to focus on the personalities of the movement. In We Are Not What We Seem, Roderick D. Bush takes a fresh look at Black Power and other African American social movements with a specific emphasis on the role of the urban poor in the struggle for Black rights.

Bush traces the trajectory of African American social movements from the time Booker T. Washington to the present, providing an integrated discussion of class. He addresses questions crucial to any understanding of Black politics: Is the Black Power movement simply another version of the traditional American ethnic politics, or does it have wider social import? What role has the federal government played in implicitly grooming social conservatives like Louis Farrakhan to assume leadership positions as opposed to leftist, grassroots, class-oriented leaders? Bush avoids the traditional liberal and social democratic approaches in favor of a more universalistic perspective that offers new insights into the history of Black movements in the U.S.

Long an activist in the Black Power and radical movement of the 1968-88 period, Rod Bush is Assistant Professor of Sociology and Anthropology at St. John's University and editor of The New Black Vote: Politics and Power in Four American Cities.

NYU Press encourages individuals to purchase books from their local bookstore.
Search here for a
bookstore directory of the American Booksellers Association (ABA).

Copyright © 1997-99 NYU Press. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without written permission of New York University Press is prohibited. All prices are subject to change without notice.
Design by MartinWestMediaDesign.

[Home Page]   [Bookstore]   [Feedback and Help]

Visit NYU Web
NYU