< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: The New Panglossianism and Baby's bathwater

by Matthew Horning

22 November 1999 21:35 UTC

The capitalists take money from the workers because the workers give it to
them. This happens for a very large number of reasons: perception of power,
confidence or lack therof, knowledge of the system or lack thereof, and a
few million or so other little details. Every man does what he chooses. If
you want to change what he does, you must give him the knowledge that he
can
benefit by doing so. In order to do that, you must produce a stable system
of economy that is well organized and nearly universally accepted. Ideally,
I think communism is the government style of choice. But ideally, every man
has equal responsibility for the whole, and that requires an ethical system
far beyond what we have today. Any endeavor that requires support by "the
people" must appeal to their individual selfishness, for although some may
learn to "rise above it" or understand that it is in their best interest to
work in a large group, most do not have goals on a global level and thus do
not wish to put energy into helping people they do not know. Their lives
are
devoted to themselves and maybe to their family and friends. Whatever
government can best appeal to, or manipulate as the case may be, this kind
of person will survive.
As our understanding of economics and ethics improves, the information will
spread to the workers, who when they know it is benificial will demand a
change to a new form of economy or whatever is on the table. The job for
you
guys is to make it clear EXACTLY why it works. But you don't know. The
inner
workings of economy are laregly mysterious still, as is ethics. Governing
is
experimenting. As long as this is so, the fear of the unknown will remain
the primary tool of those in power.
So all you promoters of this or that idealism or economy, keep in mind that
this fear must be dealt with to make your change, and this can only be done
by clearly stating the necessity for it and PROVING to everyone that it
will
do what you predict that it will.

Matthew Horning