< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The New Panglossianism and Baby's bathwater

by Spectors

21 November 1999 04:07 UTC

 Good point Elson.

 If we add to that the uses of "Big Government" when the capitalists decide
THEY
 want to use Big Government, such as using !)Condemnation of private
 property, purchase by the government and then selling it to private
 interests; 2)price supports; 3) inflated defense and other government
 spending; 4)building infrastructure to help particular industries;
 5)government scientific research that gets handed over for free to
 corporations; 6) making some industries "public" (such as air traffic
 controllers) so that the force of the government can be used agains them if
 they strike; 7) banning workers from certain tactics, such as secondary
 boycotts, to protect companies; 8)coercing low income people "welfare" to
 work for very low wages for private companies; 9) renting out prison labor
 for very low wages; and of course 10) imperialism, breaking unions in other
 countries and supporting repressive government there --- add all these to
 the equation and we see how big business JUST LOVES big government when
they
 need it, AND how the accumulation of their wealth is not simply the result
 of the unfettered market.  Perhaps Starbucks' profits are partly due to the
 repression of workers by CIA-assisted forces, in the coffee-producing
 places.

 Can this system be reformed via elections? Lots of good people have tried.
 But things are actually getting worse for most people, even in the U.S.,
and
 that is now! Wait until the business cycle has another downturn (crisis of
 overproduction) and the war plans are put into effect.

 I know that violence is an unpleasant concept, but the everyday functioning
 of the system heaps massive violence on millions of people every week. The
 price of "wing tip shoes" is less important than the price of
anti-bacterial
 medicine. The right to vote is meaningless if you die at the age of 6
 months. The supposed victory of Ghandi (which is open to question) could be
 counter-argued by the disastrous consequences (mass death) caused by the
 failure of many to use violence against the Nazis. The U.S. civil war was
 also quite unpleasant, including the provocations by John Brown, but how
 many more would have died if opponents of slavery confined themselves to
 non-violence?

 In any case, any serious study of the economy would indicate that there is
 NO free market and can never be. Those who advocate "free market" only do
so
 when that slogan protects their interests. When "responsible government
 control" protects their interests, then they mouth that set of slogans.

 Alan Spector