< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Call for Papers: STRATEGIES OF CRITIQUE 14: WHAT IS POLITICAL? (fwd)

by md7148

20 November 1999 17:28 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:32:13 +0000
From: Mike Palamarek <mikashy@yorku.ca>
To: MATERIALIST FEMINISM <MatFem@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Call for Papers: STRATEGIES OF CRITIQUE 14: WHAT IS POLITICAL?

Please post, copy, and/or forward to listservs, distribution lists,
friends, colleagues and the like. Thanks for your help and your interest,
and we apologize in advance for any duplications.

********************************

THE GRADUATE PROGRAMME IN SOCIAL AND POLITICAL THOUGHT ANNOUNCES A
        CALL FOR PAPERS FOR ITS ANNUAL GRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE:

        STRATEGIES OF CRITIQUE 14: WHAT IS POLITICAL?
        March 24-25, 2000 / York University

There is much debate on what, precisely, it is when we speak of politics and
the political.  Is everything political?  Does this mean nothing is
political?  What or where are the politics of government?  What are the
politics of defining the political?  What is the relation between the
political and other discourses: economics, gender, sexuality, technology,
race, and so forth?  Where is the political?  Are there places where the
political is absent?  Is there an urgency to the political?

Keeping in mind these questions, we seek proposals which attempt to shed
light on the political and politics. We encourage proposals which focus on
the following themes but all proposals related to the conference will be
considered.

· The Poverty of Globalization
· The Politics of Race, Class, and Gender
· "Marxish": Limits of Orthodoxy and Transgression
· Sexual Politics: Sub-Missionary Positions
· Art, Aesthetics, and Propaganda
· Future States
· Traditions and Institutions: On the Future Past
· The Public Statement
· Unconscious Nation
· Echos of Empire: Colonized Possessions
· Cases of the Political

Graduate students are invited to submit a 200-word proposal for a paper,
case study, performance, or video presentation by Wednesday, December 15th,
1999.  All proposals will be blind reviewed.  Presentations should be
approximately 20 minutes.  Send all proposals and inquiries via e-mail, fax,
or mail to:

STRATEGIES OF CRITIQUE 14: WHAT IS POLITICAL?
c/o Graduate Programme in Social and Political Thought
S716 Ross Building
York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario