< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Question

by mike shupp

22 November 1999 15:05 UTC

EAST4WIND@aol.com wrote:

> I wonder if any of you have given thought to the waste which is presented
> us by the methods presently used to enforce capital punishment?

> I am of the opinion that it would be better to take the convicted and put
> them to work on projects and in programs where they would provide social
> benefit to society.

Or, as a friend of mine once pointed out, "there are so many
*fascinating*
medical experiments to be done!"  And, for that matter, so many really
deserving people in need of transplantable lungs, kidneys, corneas,
hearts,
skin tissue, gonads, spleens, adrenal glands, etc.....

All things considered, I'm of the opinion that we should NOT look for
"useful"
processing of those convicted of capital offenses.  It's likely to lead
creating more capital crimes rather than fewer and increaingly callous
treatment
of those convicted.

For what it's worth, I'm not an opponent of executing criminals.

Mike Shupp
Graduate Student, Dept of Anthropology
California State University, Northridge
ms44278@csun1.csun.edu