< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: request for sources: Marx versus Weber

by Malcolm David Brown

22 November 1999 12:01 UTC

I would also recommend Derek Sayer's book "Capitalism and
modernity: an excursus on Marx and Weber", published by
Routledge, 1990. For a different perspective on the
critique of Weber's Protestant ethic thesis, "Islam and
capitalism" by Maxime Rodinson (Penguin, 1977) is well
worth a look.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Brown.

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:32:31 -0800 (PST) Amandeep Sandhu
<sandhu@UVic.CA> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for some literature sources that contrast the Marxian and
> the Weberian conception of the origins of capitalism. Also, if there are
> some sources that critique Weber's Protestant Ethic Thesis, I would like
> to know these as well.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Amandeep

----------------------
Dr Malcolm Brown
Department of Sociology
University of Exeter
Amory Building
Rennes Drive
Exeter EX4 4RJ
U.K.

Telephone +44 (0)1392 263307
Fax +44 (0)1392 263285

In the fields with which we are concerned,
knowledge comes only in flashes. The text is
the thunder rolling long afterwards (Walter
Benjamin).