< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Question

by EAST4WIND

19 November 1999 02:16 UTC

I wonder if any of you have given thought to the waste which is presented
us by the methods presently used to enforce capital punishment?

We provide people who have committed heineous crimes with a trial and then
put them in a private room where they are fed and clothed while being
supervised with round-the-clock 24 hour a day 7 day per week supervision
and
care.  During this time they are provided with appeal after appeal and may
finally, after many years of living in these conditions, be lead down a
corridor and caused to lie down on a table and then given an injection
which
puts them to sleep forever.

All of this at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What do we, society, receive in return?  Retribution--perhaps,
justice--never.

I am of the opinion that it would be better to take the convicted and put
them to work on projects and in programs where they would provide social
benefit to society.  thTs could be done while their "appeals" are being
fought in the courts.  My idea of socially beneficial work would be to send
them to places such as Cherynobl where they could undertake the
safeguarding
of society through the maintenance and repair of the damage which lies
there.
 There are numerous other locations, such as Love Canal and who knows where
else that such societal benefical work could be performed.  If the party
were
to be found ultimately liable for the crimes which they had committed at
the
end of their appeal process, the work which they performed would pay part
of
the cost of those appeals.  If they were found to be not criminally
responsible, they could be paid a fair compensation for the work which they
performed.

The need for environmental clean up is paramount.  The need for people who
will perform this work is important to society.  What better place to
locate
such workers than amongst the condemned of the world?

Ibrahim