< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: questions re praxeology of world-system change

by g kohler

20 November 1999 13:55 UTC

see, comment at the end

-----Original Message-----
From: cem somel <somel@metu.edu.tr>
To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Cc: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Date: November 19, 1999 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: questions re praxeology of world-system change

...>snip
>On non-violence: non-violent persuasion, propagating ideas, open and
democratic
>organization are the methods to be espoused. But what should be done if the
>opponent ("the system") resorts to violence, as happens ever so frequently
in
>the periphery?
>Respectfully,
>C. Somel

Hi, Cem and friends

The Zapatistas in Mexico and the African National Congress in South Africa
(prior to its success) are/were exposed to open and undercover violence by
the regime in power. People have a right to individual or collective
self-defense and both the Zapatistas and the ANC are/were defending
themselves with arms. However, none of the two are/were following a Leninist
strategy. The ANC was even successful by *not* following a Leninist
strategy. The ANC did *not* say "we want to drive the white capitalists into
the sea, rape their white daughters, slit their white throats and burn their
white suburban houses". No, on the contrary, they said "we want our rights".
Thus, their strategic goal was nonviolent. How this could be applied to the
Turkish situation, I don't know. But for the world-system as a whole, an
ANC-like strategy looks more promising to me than a Leninist or other
violent strategy.

Respectfully,
Gert
Oakville, Canada