< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

reformist or pacifist is suicidal

by Elson E. Boles

13 November 1999 18:57 UTC

It seems there are two key items on the table:

1.  minimum core principles of a World Party
2.  the question of tactics: a necessary dichotomy between peaceful or
violent, reformist or revolutionary?  Is this something that has to be
sorted out at this point?  Is this a false dilemma?

Regarding both, any comments on STATEMENT ON GLOBAL AND DEMOCRATIC
SOVEREIGN INSTITUTIONS?

        Basic text of the global coalition/global campaign "World
Democracy 2010" launched on Friday 14 May 1999 at the Hague
Appeal for Peace Conference.

Goal: the creation of global and democratic sovereign institutions,

Whereas global problems demand global solutions,

whereas to be implemented successfully, these global
solutions will need to be supported by the people of the world, and

whereas such implementation requires the democratic
expression of the will of the people (art. 21(3) of the Universal
Declaration of
Human Rights)

Therefore we need global and democratic sovereign
institutions to legislate, implement and adjudicate such solutions.

        The people of the world shall decide the extent of the
powers of these institutions and their inter-relationship
with other levels of powers.

Basic principles

        While we are aware there are various ways to build such
institutions, we nevertheless agree on the following set of
basic design principles:

1. Innate sovereignty of individuals

2. Sovereignty of the people expressed through direct or
representative democracy

3. Rule of law

4. Solving problems at the most local level practicable
(Subsidiarity Principle)

5. Institutional and procedural transparency to create and
maintain trust

6. Use of peaceful means to build such institutions

7. Non-discrimination (article 2 of Universal Declaration of
Human Rights)

        We appeal to all people of good will to make this goal and
these basic principles known and to act within their
possibilities to support them.