< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Dependency theory

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

05 November 1999 23:15 UTC

At 06:44 PM 11/5/1999 GMT, you wrote:

>I'm a first year student trying to do a paper which basically asks which
>paradigm one finds more compelling, Realism, Pluralism...
>I would like to argue that the dependency paradigm is more compelling.
>HELP!!!

Some suggestions for a plan of attack:  I would limit my topic if possible
by specifying a specific phenomena (dependent variable) examined and
claimed to be explained by the three paradigms you mention (realism,
pluralism, and dependency theory--perhaps you should speak of world-system
theory rather than dependency theory as such, since WST is the main
contemporary form of what used to be called dependency theory).  Possible
dependent variables include war (although it might be hard to put your
finger on a pluralist explanation of war), economic development, the spread
of multinational corporations, "globalization", etc.

Having limited my topic, I would examine empirical research on the
dependent variable (assuming this paper assignment does not require
original research).  You should try to synthesize the empirical findings
and decide for yourself which theory the findings "fit" best.

You already seem to have a bias in favor of radical political economy of
some sort.  You should ask yourself why you have this bias.  What are the
facts of which you are aware that make WST convincing to you?  What
empirical research is convinces you that WST, and not realism or pluralism,
is to be preferred?  Why do you find it convincing?  How does this evidence
confirm WST and disconfirm opposing theories?

--
Jeffrey L. Beatty
Doctoral Student

(o) 614/292-2880
(h) 614/688-0567
Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu
Economists are from Mars, sociologists are
from Venus, political scientists are from
Jupiter.