< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: jwsr. globalization of consciousness

by Ian Robert Douglas

26 September 1999 20:43 UTC

>Social science phrases do not govern the development of social reality.

1. "The virtual is opposed not the real but to the actual.  _The virtual is
fully real insofar as it is virtual_.  Exactly what Proust said of states
of resonance must be said of the virtual: 'Real without being actual, ideal
without being abstract'; and symbolic without being fictional."
       - Gilles Deleuze, _Difference and Repetition_

what exactly _is_ the "difference" between the ideational and the material?

2. "Yes, imagination governs the world."
       - Napoleon Bonaparte

what exactly _is_ the difference between the material and the imaginary?

3. "If the people can be oppressed, even if they are not actually
oppressed, then they are oppressed already."
       - Saint-Just

best wishes/sincerely,
Ian R. Douglas  |  Watson Institute for International Studies
Brown University, Box 1831, Providence, RI  02912  USA

tel: 401 863-2420     fax: 401 863-2192

"I shut my eyes in order to see." - Paul Gaugin

http://www.powerfoundation.org