< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

jwsr. globalization of consciousness

by g kohler

26 September 1999 15:01 UTC

Andrew Wayne Austin raises an important issue:
"Social science phrases do not govern the development of social reality";
and you raise the issue of idealism vs. realism.

Since many tomes have been written about this and since I am not a
philosopher, I would just like to make a comment or two, looking at this
from a practical point of view.

(1) Leftist activists believe in the "raising of consciousness" (ecological,
social). From that I conclude that activists believe that consciousness
makes a difference.
(2) Critical scholars believe in the importance of criticism. From that I
conclude that critical scholars believe in the importance of consciousness
change.
(3) Andy's statement: "Social science phrases do not govern the development
of social reality" is, partly, valid and, partly, invalid. Valid: as long as
these "social science phrases" stay in social science circles. Invalid: when
these "social science phrases" become part of mass consciousness. (I even
saw the term "world system" mentioned in an article in the financial section
of a Canadian newspaper!) Examples of "social science phrases" which changed
reality: Darwin's "social science phrases", Marx's "social science phrases",
race theorists's (social science phrases". They all became part of mass
consciousness and changed social reality.
(4) I agree: the "world economy" or "world-economies" have been there for
milennia; but if the consciousness about them changes, something important
is likely to change. Take the parallel case of the women's movement(s).
Objectively, women were oppressed by men for millenia. But nothing happened.
Then, starting in the West a hundred years ago, women activists started to
raise consciousness about the situation, fought for women's suffrage
(Finland, Sweden leading the way 1906, 1908). Braziers were burned (USA
1968). Today, Western women have more of a social and legal standing than
they ever had in history. Why? Because activists changed mass consciousness.
(5) You cannot even sell CocaCola without constantly massaging mass
consciousness.
Now figure this out philosophically.

Gert Kohler
Oakville, Canada