< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

SECOND QUESTION ABOUT AMERICAN PBS SERIES "THE PEOPLES CENTURY" ?

by RANDALL BURTON

03 July 1999 04:45 UTC

I regret to say that I have been underwhelmed by the quality of response to my earlier question about the PBS series "THE PEOPLE'S CENTURY".  Perhaps the summer academic exodus has taken its toll on cyber discourse.  Too, I know our colleagues abroad have likely not seen it yet.

In any event, my original question and conjecture appears below in case anyone cares to take another run at it.

And I wish to append this:  The PBS series appears to be a misguided treatment of the anti-systemic efforts of all sorts of people worldwide this past century.  I am wondering if in spite of the "feel good" revisionism of the series there is anything WST types can learn from this.  Will the anti-systemic movements of this century parle into meaningful change in the new millenium or are we doomed to more of the bate-and-switch power-elite games we all spend so much time analyzing.

My harshest despair is that if WST cannot formulate a reply to PBS and the media manipulation it appears to represent, then we (the anti-royal WE) have little chance of winning any sort of public policy debate or influence.  Lacking this opportunity, I think we should just return to the monestaries and drink more of the rare grape such places produced.  But if we can collectively answer PBS, I think this would offer some sort of public service.  In effect, WST should not only dowse the PBS dellusion with disinfectant reason, but should also evaluate the programs for the "missing and hidden information" that seems to lerk everywhere in the series.

I shall pre-emptively ask the forgiveness of anyone who thinks I am inncoherent or unclear.  I shall be happy to explain further, if only we can establish a direct line of contact.

-----Original Message-----
From: RANDALL BURTON <rcburton@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sunday, June 20, 1999 12:42 PM
Subject: ANYT THOUGHTS ON AMERICAN PBS SERIES "THE PEOPLES CENTURY" ?

Well, as hopelessly interesting as the yugo mess may be, are there any thoughts about the American PBS series "The People's Century".

The global scope of the programs seems to be some sort of feel good revisionism about how popular movements have positively altered the course of WS pathology.  I can envision history and social studies teachers everywhere programming VCR's to entomb this stuff for future student indoctrination.  After all PBS says it's true.

My conjecture is that popular movements of this century (largely a zero sum game of the politics of identity) have in the main provided a relief valve that has reduced the power elite's costs/efforts to maintain social control.

Any observations would be most appreciated.

Randall Burton