< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Gunder Frank wins 1999 WHA Book Prize

by J. B. \"Jack\" Owens

02 July 1999 22:41 UTC

---- Begin included message ----
FORWARDED BY:
J. B. "Jack" Owens
Professor of History
Idaho State University
Pocatello, ID 83209 USA
E-mail:  owenjack@isu.edu
WWW:  http://www.isu.edu/~owenjack
Tel:  (208) 236-2379
FAX:  (208) 236-4267

---- Begin included message ----
 From: David Chappell
           University of Hawaii
           dchappel@hawaii.edu

I would like to announce that Andre Gunder Frank has won the 1999 World
History Association Book Award, for his RE-ORIENT: GLOBAL ECONOMY IN THE
ASIAN AGE (UC Berkeley Press, 1998).  The WHA Book Award Committee
regarded RE-ORIENT as exceptional for its breadth of vision, courageous
analysis and its warning not to let ethnocentrism prevent us from pursuing
world history from a global perspective.  I might add that the WHA Award
Committee is now entertaining nominations for next year's prize, which
should be a scholarly book that is published in 1999 and that employs
historical analysis from a global perspective, i.e., transregional in
scope, either comparative or perhaps even a case study with much wider
historiographic implications.  Ideally, nominees should be WHA members,
but we are willing to entertain input from others interested in world
history.  We have not yet set a deadline for nominations, but logically it
will be in late Fall.

                       Sincerely, David A. Chappell
                                  Book Review Editor
                                  Journal of World History