< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re:'peace' silence?

by Richard N Hutchinson

22 June 1999 20:55 UTC

I am certainly glad to have Infallible Popes available (or is Great
Helmsmen, Masters of the Dialectic?) to make clear what might otherwise be
thought to be the exact opposite.

My apparently misguided impression was that:

-the Soviet Union collapsed, leaving the U.S. the sole superpower,

-the U.S. has effectively used its vast military might to check whatever
regimes it declares "rogue regimes," mainly Iraq and Yugoslavia/Serbia so
far,

-focusing on epiphenomena such as U.N. resolutions merely obfuscates the
nature of power in the world-system,

and

-neither Europe or Japan, core economic powers, nor Russia or China, a
semiperipheral nuclear power and a peripheral power-of-the-future, pose
any short to medium run threat to U.S. dominance (euphemistically called
"preponderance" by Joseph Nye in the latest Foreign Affairs).

Was the Kosovo operation a debacle in many ways?  Sure.

But if it represents a defeat for the U.S., I'd like to know who won.

Unfortunately, it seems to be another victory for the Empire, no matter
how clumsy.  The U.S. maintains its Godfather Uber Alles position over
NATO, and hence over the world.

The next era may be Asian, but for now we still have the Yanqui Empire to
deal with.

(Maybe Gunder Mach I is still more relevant than the futuristic Gunder
Mach II!!)

RH