< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

global class analysis/unequal exchange

by Ahmet Cakmak

22 May 1999 12:01 UTC

I couldn't reply Kohler's last question on world technological
rent,becouse I still working on this concept. But I want to say
something on last notes of kohler and elson.
We have two ways in front of us to walk: one is begin with unequal
exchange. With this first step the road goes (strongly tend) to concepts
of traditional economics and/or political economy's such as rates of
wages and profits,prices and productivity. These are useful and real
concepts when they used in their own areas. But, I think we generally
use them without care,that is in levels which they are irrelevant or
misguided. But if we begin with world technological rent we can see real
problem-solving areas, correct research programs in front of us : The
military and political superiority comes from economic superiority and
the source of this monopoly or oligopoly power of core countries. And
technological superiority lies behind this. Under today's conditions
most of the latin american and asian countries has the chance of
catching up the core countries in technology within ,lets say 20
years.and if this is achieved the base of unequal exchange will be
eroded substantially. History has taken this possibility to its agenda.
it waits for the political owners,and this must be left -wing movements.
This is the realistic strategy to become a real anti-systemic
movement,this is the way to make something real for the living peoples.
But,when we armed with the concept of unequal exchange we begin to walk
around the conceptual labirenths of traditional approaches. No way out
in this level. I think most persuaded evidence of this the time passed
from the publishing of Emmanuel's work up to know: approximately 30
years. Either we are stupid or the concept itself is not productive,it
overshadowed real problems.