< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Re: global class analysis/unequal exchange

by elson

22 May 1999 15:41 UTC

Interesting reply.  My one major objection is to the idea
that Asia or Latin American states, outside of Japan, will
catch up to the core in terms of technology.  I think this is
far fetched.
But I don't quite follow the rest of the message.  If you are
saying that LA and Asian are industrializing rapidly and this
will engender a number of class conflicts (which are gendered
and of definite ethnic-national nature), and that these are
anti-systemic movements with promise for real change, I
probably would agree.
Unequal exchange (and I absent mindedly left out the political
dimension of class struggle that also drives up wages) is
a means of explaining the core-periphery gap.  I
was pointing out what I think is the neglected market mechanism of
unequal exchange, among other mechanisms.  The market of
our world economy (given its state structures) is a creator of
inequality and should be attacked, in my view.
The gap enters into the misery of the periphery and into the l
local struggles against the ruling elites.  I agree, it only partially
explains the conditions behind the rise of anti-systemic movements.
elson