< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Just one point ! re: bombs away

by Richard Ragland

05 April 1999 12:39 UTC

I read some of I. Wallerstein's work and I can agree with many points
raised.  I also do not pretend to know all there is to know about the
situation.  What I do know is that the point he raises, "The Yugoslav
government did nothing outside its own borders." , may need
clarification.

If I hear or see my neighbor beating the hell out of his wife,
throwing stones at her, threatening her with a pistol etc.  I can not,
in all human consciousness, sit and do nothing, or say, "well he is
doing it on his property so I will not interfere.  We are talking
about real human lives and the problem with the big governments is
that their intelligence services tell them a lot more than they care
to tell the public or international media.  If the Government of any
nation starts exterminating a group of humans whether inside or
outside its borders, not to intervene because that is something going
on "within the borders" is simply inhumane, and makes our
international declaration of human rights documents absolutely
worthless.

The problem to me is that the international community still does not
have its act together on how to respond to these situations and the
reason it doesn't is because it is still playing around with
nationalistic tendencies. (Nation Games)  If the leaders of nations do
not get themselves together and form a world federation of states to
address the issues of humanity and our planet, we will keep seeing
this kind of ignorant behaviour.

We still do not have an officially sanctioned world police force to
protect human rights.  Until we do, you can sit back and watch the
fireworks until you are blue in the face.  No paper written by any
acedemic world system theorists will change this reality.

Rick