< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: a suggestion

by Ian Robert Douglas

04 April 1999 09:06 UTC

postface: for the record, i have posted 7 messages to this list since first
subscribing in 1995; just in case anyone feels that this one (my fifth
since last Monday) is one too many.
   I'd like to respond very briefly to a couple of the points made by Paul
Jacob; not because I want to keep this discussion going--I, like you all,
have better things to do--but because I think Proyect had (for he's now
left the list) something of a rough ride here.

--- paul jacob writes ...
>Please Mr. Louis Proyect, if you want to come in with
>a good debate, even influenced by the warmness of the
>mentioned questions, you are welcome.

in the main I think this is exactly what Mr. Proyect was doing, but to no
avail.  Apart from his public replies to some nasty private mailings he
received, he seemed, as far as I could see, to be responding in kind (and
largely with good humour) to the thoughts of others.

>Otherwise, if you want to put in this web the bad words
>and others low-mindness and indignities that you receive
>you'd better be away of that. I guess that none of us is
>interested in such a foolness.

to be honest I am.  The virulent reactions Mr. Proyect received have
genuinely surprized me, and I--no doubt like him--would like to know the
reasoning behind such strong resentment.

>A good debate in the list is very understandable, although
>some membres get angry (and me too!!!!) with the complete
>lack of sense of the mass senders, bombing the list with
>real testaments of the common sense and personnal thoughts.

personal thoughts?  as opposed to impersonal ones?  Does this not touch
upon the very issue that Mr. Proyect was attempting to air--the connection
(or possible lack of) between world systems theory and real world praxis?

>I really don't know where you find such a TIME (excuse me
>all, but again TIME!!!!) to bomb WSN with those mass-texting!!!
>That's incredible.
>Please, leave WSN in peace!!!!!

I fear again in this last statement you merely prove that there is
substance to Mr. Proyect's concern

best wishes/sincerely,
Ian R. Douglas  |  Watson Institute for International Studies
Brown University, Box 1831, Providence, RI  02912  USA

tel: 401 863-2420     fax: 401 863-2192

"Only he who takes what he writes directly out of his
 own head is worth reading."  -  Schopenhauer

http://www.powerfoundation.org