< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The court process as a resolution

by Peter Grimes

31 March 1999 21:09 UTC

	I completely support an effective world court which could have
both real enforcement power and jurisdiction over matters of civil wars.
I am confidant such wars will proliferate over the next few years, and
every one may potentially suck all kinds of people in.  I was therefore
saddened but not surprised by the official US opposition to just such a
court last year.
	But the failure of that initiative is only a symptom of a broader
problem: we cannot have a real court unless it has a monopoly over the use
of LEGITIMATE violence (Weber was right on this one), which requires the
prior formation of a truly global state.  Pending such a new global
empire, we will remain victims of and hostages to sectarian national
interests and efforts at hegemony.
--Peter