< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Collins & Georgi

by Peter Grimes

31 March 1999 20:57 UTC

	What Georgi's analysis (with which I completely agree) omitted was
the possibility most worrisome to me:  NATO ground troops deployed in
Kosovo fighting directly with Serbian forces.  Already the Media here are
increasingly discussing this as the only possible "resolution", with a few
even suggesting the direct attack on Belgrade and assasination of
Milosovic.  I continue to believe that this will happen, leading to a
protracted "quagmire" ground war, where, over a period of months, Serbian
forces will be increasingly supplemented by foreign volunteers (majority
Russian), even as NATO forces will be supported & augmented by Albanians &
perhaps even Turks. I assess the probability of this scenario as maybe
60%.  If it indeed happens, then my earlier expressed concern is
enhanced that an internal shift in Russian politics toward strengthened
opposition to NATO may include a nuclear exchange c 2000.
--Peter