< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

The court process as a resolution

by Nikolai S. Rozov

31 March 1999 21:58 UTC

Kashif Ghazanfar asks (see below):

WHAT should be done?

Let's first consider the following prerequisites to a possible
answer:

1) effectiveness in fast stopping escalation of conflict and human
victims (on both sides)
2) relevance to some abstract principles (values, norms, standards,
etc) that are higher than national, geopolitical or other
particular interests of the involved sides
3) opening way for further peaceful and fair resolving of the
conflict
4) relevance of the procedure  to further similar conflicts

I see the only one way: immediate initiation of international court
process over both opposing claims: USA, Western-European allies and
NATO versus Belgrad's unhuman actions in Kosovo and  Belgrad versus
NATO's agression

The questions for those who supports NATO's actions:
If you are so sure that Milosevic's regime is criminal. why not to
try to prove it on open fair competitive court?
If you are so sure that NATO is innocent, why not to prove it at the
same legal process?
Why NATO's decision makers cannot be claimed for the  legal court
process; mayby they have absolute immunity? What is the nature of
this immunity: only their weaponary and political power? What is the
real price than for the so much praised Western respect to LAW?

The questions for those who do not believe at all in any reality and
effectiveness of international law and legal order: what other
major civilizational alternatives do you see besides international
law, hegemony and oligarchy? Don't you think that all hegemonies and
oligarchies were and will always pass through crises and shifts with
correspondent violence escalation? How could be international law
established before believing in it and trying it even when it is
weak?

We all need the real precedent of establishing and reification of
international legal law (probably on the basis of UN Charter and
other international humanistic standards), and Kosovo crisis is the
best way to try it. Without such tool and order humanity will be
disarmed in front of coming much more dangerous crises and wars in
the next century.

I would be especially interested in argumented statements against
the proposition.