From: EAST4WIND@aol.com
To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
Subject: Ongoing discussion
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:52:12 EST

Greetings,

I thought it perhaps time to add to the discussion so that later the important
issues which are presenting themselves by the members of this group are not
also presented with a complete representation.

What strikes me throughout all the events which are holding so much of
everyone's attention and concern is that there is a great condemnation of
diversity and the effort to eliminate that which is either disliked, to put it
politely, or that which is different.  The arrogance of people, of
organizations, of states, of countries to say that based upon their particular
interpretation of history or science or economics is that a group which is
different should be run off or should be eliminated in order to bring into
existence a cleansed way of being.  It is as if there is a cancer that is
called a cancer but is not a cancer.

The arrogance of our human societies, collectively, to disparage, eliminate,
destroy in the effort to provide a cleansed environment is a great part of the
problem which we face today of which that which is occurring in the Balkans or
in India or in Ethiopia or in Chiapas or in Borneo is only a symptom.

More than two thousand years ago an ancient culture considered the merits of
organizing their society based on principles of economic thought. They
rejected this concept.  Why?  They considered that the limitations and
constraints of economic thought brought into action and reaction acts and ways
of conducting human life which were antithetical to the way in which they
thought that human life and society should be lived.

What were the values which they believed should be presented, taught and
encouraged in human life and society?  In general, the values which they
identified are values which emphasize morality, virtue and a respect for
diversity.  Based upon their considerations and reflections, they formed a
social organization which presented these values as being the most important.

Some two thousand five hundred years later, a gentleman born in Europe at the
end of the last century formulated and identified theories which have created
tremendous change in our world society.  After the creation of these formulas
and theories he then went on into the remainder of his life seeking how to
bring into human life an ability to understand and accept the values and
integration we should enjoy with the world in which we live.

That person's name was Einstein and his theories of Relativity and Special
Relativity have presented both tremendous advances in science and in the life
we live while also presenting questions of relevance and our place in relation
to both each other and to our universe, the eternity of which we are a part.

The expression of his theory, E=MC2 holds within it the answer to which he
sought.  It contains within it the seeds which that ancient human culture
found the answers from which it dedicated the way in which to organize its
society and to formulate its development.

If we change the values of this formula it comes to reflect the special
relation and the relativity of human life and of the potential for human
society.

Recognizing that the value for E is that of "eternity," that of all that is,
can be or ever has been. We can then ascertain that this eternity is equal to,
from a human perspective, to the value of Morality multiplied by Compassion
Squared.  Both morality and compassion are human traits which can be
encouraged, developed, improved, multiplied in their effects.  Achieving this,
we, as human beings, as human societies can make certain that we do have a
Special Relation to our world and to eternity.  Achieving this we, as human
beings, as human societies can make certain of the Relativity of our lives, of
our societies and of our cultures to our world and to eternity.

Participating in the evils of destruction of diversity we participate in the
other side of Einstein's famous formulations-the side which he developed but
for which he came to recognize as being only a part of the picture and a part
for which he felt and believed that as a human being limited his and others
and our sense of "being."

Those formulators of arguments that human society, human culture, human life,
is based on economic principles fail to recognize that we, each of us, is more
than a machine, more than an activity which is directed and coursed by the
economic directions of life.

Participating in life we have the opportunity to become better and better as
both an individual and as a member of our particular culture and as a member
of human society.  Recognizing and accepting and appreciating that the
diversity of life presents the opportunities which we do enjoy offers us a
better way of life for ourselves and for our children and for future
generations yet unborn.

Thank you,

Pablo de St. Louis

--part0_922922125_boundary--