< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: NATO, Kosovo, Russia

by Louis Proyect

29 March 1999 13:18 UTC

>Louis,
>
>Enough with imperialism. Just accept that without this historic
>reality the world would be very different indeed today. Don't see just
>black and white, there is grey there as well.
>
>Greg Chalik
>University of Sydney

I assume that the message I received was meant for the list, so I will
answer it publicly. Is your blithe acceptance of imperialism connected to
world systems theory as you understand it or are you just a garden variety
right-winger? The reason I ask is that Lenin's analysis was rooted in World
War One, the grandfather of today's fighting in the Balkans. He studied the
global economy because millions of young men were dying needlessly. On the
other hand, if studying the world economy is simply an intellectual
exercise, then the urgency to connect the analysis to political action
might seem pointless. Get what I mean?