< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: NATO, Kosovo, Russia

by noplace

26 March 1999 21:19 UTC

Louis Proyect wrote:

> At 10:38 AM 3/25/99 -0500, noplace@geocities.com wrote:
> >how many times have I heard this mind-numbing line?  I know people who
> >have been the first (and in some cases the only) to document cases of
> >mass murder in Kosovo.  What EXACTLY do you suggest doing when the
> >Serbian army/police are pursuing an ACTIVE policy of KILLING Albanians?
>
> Diana Johnstone, from an article in Covert Action Quarterly:
>
> The current campaign to demonize the Serbs began in July 1991 with a
> virulent barrage of articles in the German media.. [excerpt]
>
> The Yugoslav story was complicated; anti-Serb stories had the advantage of
> being simple and available, and they provided an easy- to-use moral compass
> by designating the bad guys.

the kosovo story is less complicated, if you haven't noticed.  The continuing
war is the responsibility of Milosevic.  As we bomb Yugoslavian installations
by night the Serb police on the ground are going door to door executing or
pillaging in open day.  In fact they've been given the space to do so by the
mass exodus of reporters, humanitarian and aid workers, and the like, from
Kosovo itself.  God help them.  This war has nothing to do with the West
telling these countries they can't live in peace unless under Western
imperialism (as you originally suggested); it's a simple war of position--a
war of establishing order--that the West seems, by its actions, to be
complicit with.  The Kosovans are the ones who suffer, and die.  The Serbs are
the ones who are doing the killing.