Re: living people's concrete problems

Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:50:02 +1000
edtgg@cc.newcastle.edu.au

Jay Hanson wrote:
From: Mark Jones <Jones_M@netcomuk.co.uk>

> >environmental conservation. But Marx certainly did not believe in endless
> >economic growth as a panacea for human ills and was extremely aware of the
> >dangers to the environment of unbridled growth and despoliation of natural

Yes, this was part of Mark Jones clear point, based in historical facts, that
sections of the left have had different perspectives and approaches to the
question of unlimited growth.

> William Ophuls:
>
> "Karl Marx was even more utopian than either Locke or Smith, for he
> envisioned
> the eventual abolition of scarcity. He merely insisted that, on grounds of
> social
> justice, the march of progress be centrally directed by the state in the
> interest of
> those whose labor actually produced the goods."
>
> I haven't noticed you folks calling for reductions in standards-of-living.
> Did I miss something?
> Jay

Does quoting some generalisation of William Ophuls about Marx somehow
constitute evidence that "the left has always agreed with the capitalists"?, or
did I miss something?

Tom Griffiths.