Re: Alernative Energy Technologies

Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:06:04 -1000
Jay Hanson (j@qmail.com)

From: Richard N Hutchinson <rhutchin@U.Arizona.EDU>

>Unfortunately, I tend to agree with the doomsayers, but if there's no
>leverage for action to be gained in all the analysis, then we should find
>something more constructive and/or enjoyable to do.

I began my effort to understand these world systems about ten
years ago. At that time, I was motivated to join with my fellow
creatures to help solve our collective survival problem.

Over the years, I developed an ADDICTION to new knowledge and
philosophical thought. Although I now know humanity will never
achieve "sustainability", I just can't stop reading, writing,
and thinking about these issues.

In truth, our future is written in our genes. We can no more
escape our genetic programming than we can flap our arms and fly
to the moon. David Price said it best:

"The human species may be seen as having evolved in the service
of entropy, and it cannot be expected to outlast the dense
accumulations of energy that have helped define its niche. Human
beings like to believe they are in control of their destiny, but
when the history of life on Earth is seen in perspective, the
evolution of Homo sapiens is merely a transient episode that
acts to redress the planet's energy balance."

ENERGY AND HUMAN EVOLUTION, by David Price
http://dieoff.org/page137.htm

Jay
"When Leon the tyrant of Phlius asked Pythagoras who he was,
he said, 'A Philosopher,' and he compared life to the public
festivals, where some went to compete for a prize and others went
with things to sell, but the best as observers; for similarly,
in life, some grow up with servile natures, greedy for fame and
gain, but philosophers seek the truth."
Diogenes Laertius