Re: world party and antisystemic movements

Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:45:54 +0100
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

10/07/97, christopher chase-dunn wrote:
>1. What are the appropriate values around which we could mobilize a
>global movement to transform the capitalist world-system into a
>collectively rational and democratic global commonwealth? and
>2. Should we try to reform the existing system or should we concentrate
>on radically transforming it?

I for one applaud Christopher's formulation, epecially the precise level of
generality - "democratic global commonwealth", for example, allows
different structures to be discussed (including but not limited to "world
government").

>Liberty, equality and
>sorority are fine values. These values are found in many non-European
>cultures as well. The problem is to construct social and political
>structures that realize these values in practice, rather than merely
>using them as legitimations for exploitation and domination.

Amen.

>On the second question, I say we need to do both. Reform _and_
>revolution.

Amen again.

>The combined strategies (reform and revolution) require mostly
>overlapping and complementary tasks. We need to form an organization
>that will debate, educate and strategize with the short-run and long-run
>goals in mind.

Could we start with identifying and agreeing to the goals?

rkm