Aura of the Cause

Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:45:46 -0600, MDT
J B Owens (OWENJACK@FS.isu.edu)

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 15:46:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "ANDREW H. LEE" <leea@elmer4.bobst.nyu.edu>
Subject: Opening of Aura of the Cause / Book Reception for _Stars for Spa

Opening of "Aura of the Cause"

On Monday, October 13 at 6:00 pm in the Atrium of the King Juan
Carlos I of Spain Center (53 Washington Square South, New York, New
York) there will be a lecture and panel discussion by members of
the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives (ALBA) Board of Governors for
the opening of the exhibit of selected photographs from the book
_The Aura of the Cause: A Photo Album for North American Volunteers
in the Spanish Civil War_. The _Aura of the Cause_ is the most
detailed photographic record to date of the experiences of the
volunteers who took up arms against fascism in the great cause of the
1930s.

The lecture will be by curator Cary Nelson of the University of
Illinois. This will be followed by a panel discussion with Peter
Carroll, Chair, ALBA Board of Governors; Tony Geist, University of
Washington, Seattle; Len Levenson, Abraham Lincoln Brigade Veteran;
and Andrew H. Lee, New York University.

The event is free of charge and open to the public. For more
information contact the King Juan Carlos Center (212-998-3650 /
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/kjc) or the Tamiment Library (212-998-2630).

This event is co-sponsored by the King Juan Carlos I of Spain
Center, the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives, and New York
University's Tamiment Library.

Book reception for _Stars for Spain_

On Wednesday, October 15 at 2:00 pm in the Portrait Room of the
King Juan Carlos I of Spain Center (53 Washington Square South, New
York, New York) there will be a book presentation in English for
_Stars for Spain: La guerra civil espanola en los Estados Unidos_ by
Marta Rey Garcia of the Fundacion Pedro Barrie of A Coruna, Spain.
The presentation will about Dr. Rey's research on the impact in the
United States of the Spanish Civil War and the efforts by supporters
of both the Republic and Franco to sway opinion and raise material
aid.

The event is free of charge and open to the public. For more
information contact the King Juan Carlos Center (212-998-3650 /
http://www.nyu.edu/pages/kjc) or the Tamiment Library (212-998-2630).

This event is co-sponsored by the King Juan Carlos I of Spain
Center and New York University's Tamiment Library.