Re: world party and antisystemic movements

Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:12:03 +0100
Austrian Embassy (austria@it.com.pl)

Chris, that sound all fine, only one string of argument is basically wrong
- and it seems to belong almost to the discussion culture nowadays - the
prediction about "major war" between the "centers". Do you all honestly
believe that America, Japan and Europe will go to war with each other about
Toyotas, soya, computer chips, volkswagen and all? I have tried to argue
all along in my recent works that we cannot overlook the cultural
dimensions and the political sociological dimensions, even if we reject
Huntington or Fukuyama for other and good reasons. My dear friends across
the Atlantic - not the European Union is the element of belligerent
contention in the world system, or Japans capitalism for that matter, but
unequal exchange could force regions like China (still a one-party-state,
much resembling Germany in the late 19th century in its semi- authoritarian
industrialization drive), much of Africa and West-Central Asia into a
contention-trap. I think to recall that here and there are reports about
totalitarian ideologies evolving in that region, aren't they? Or is that
what happens in Algeria merely a daydream? The way that Russia goes could
become more similar to that of Austria in the 19th century - belated and
half-hearted reforms. Does not sound all that much more plausible?

A good issue for debate would be Anglo-French relations in the 19th and
early 2oth century: they rather show, I think, the evolving structure of
Euro-American relations in the 21st century.

Peace

Arno Tausch