Re: WST and Prigogine
by Andre Gunder Frank
01 July 2003 03:23 UTC

AGF answers in short. Thakks for your interest.
Mine is still a project only very partially done. But it does intend to do
something very like your summary in re both physical and spocial entropy.
It is not supposed to reflect Prigogine's theory  but to make whatever use
of it that i can, as  with any other theory.
No, I am tallking about neither  C/P not C/s-p/p, but of a multilateral
syastem.  It  was its multilaterality that was the basis of the
distribution of gains and losses in the 19th century. See my chapter 5
in DEPEDNENT ACCUMULATIOIN AND UNDERDEVELOPMENT [1978] or on my web-site
csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/  the section on on-line essays, subsection
history, 2 preliminary essays kn 19th cent and on LOCATION.
oh, or also JWSR last [not present] number my review essays therein.

regards
gunder frank

Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Shelton Gunaratne wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:21:10 -0500
> From: Shelton Gunaratne <gunarat@mnstate.edu>
> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> Subject: WST and  Prigogine
>

> Our discussion on relating the World-Systems Theory to Prigogine's Theory
> of Dissipative Structures revealed some creative ways that WST experts are
> trying to combine these two theories, e.g., A.Gunder Frank's project to
> RE-ORIENT modern history  by looking at the far-from-equilibrium  world
> system as a dissipative structure that draws  in energy and matter
> (capital?) from the environment  and disposes of entropy (waste products)
> into the periphery.
>
>   Some conceptual clarity would be helpful. Is AGF thinking of a world
> system exhibiting a center-semiperiphery-periphery structure (as
> Wallerstein does) or just a center-periphery structure.? Is he
> conceptualizing these structural components  as sub-systems of the
> whole?  Each of the two/three subsystems would be absorbing capital from
> each other?  The entropy from the center/semiperiphery ends up mostly in
> the periphery? If so what about the system as a whole? Is each of the
> subsystems also far-from-equilibrium?
>
> I got the feeling that AGF's project is more of an approximation than a
> faithful reflection of Prigogine's theory.
>

> Shelton A. Gunaratne, professor
> Mass communications department
> Minnesota State University Moorhead
> 1104 Seventh Ave. S.
> Moorhead, MN 56563
> U.S.A.
>
> Tel.:  (218) 236-4035 (office)
>          (218) 233-0453 (home)
> Fax: (218) 291-4333
> E-mail: gunarat@mnstate.edu

               ANDRE    GUNDER      FRANK

Senior Fellow                                      Residence
World History Center                    One Longfellow Place
Northeastern University                            Apt. 3411
270 Holmes Hall                         Boston, MA 02114 USA
Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Tel:    617-948 2315
Tel: 617 - 373 4060                     Fax:    617-948 2316
Web-page:csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/     e-mail:franka@fiu.edu