WST and Prigogine
by Shelton Gunaratne
26 June 2003 18:21 UTC

Our discussion on relating the World-Systems Theory to Prigogine's Theory of Dissipative Structures revealed some creative ways that WST experts are trying to combine these two theories, e.g., A.Gunder Frank's project to RE-ORIENT modern history by looking at the far-from-equilibrium world system as a dissipative structure that draws in energy and matter (capital?) from the environment and disposes of entropy (waste products) into the periphery.

Some conceptual clarity would be helpful. Is AGF thinking of a world system exhibiting a center-semiperiphery-periphery structure (as Wallerstein does) or just a center-periphery structure.? Is he conceptualizing these structural components as sub-systems of the whole? Each of the two/three subsystems would be absorbing capital from each other? The entropy from the center/semiperiphery ends up mostly in the periphery? If so what about the system as a whole? Is each of the subsystems also far-from-equilibrium?

I got the feeling that AGF's project is more of an approximation than a faithful reflection of Prigogine's theory.

Shelton A. Gunaratne, professor
Mass communications department
Minnesota State University Moorhead
1104 Seventh Ave. S.