Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Threehegemons
13 June 2003 13:18 UTC

In a message dated 6/12/2003 11:32:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bstremli@binghamton.edu writes:

> What is to be gained by
> forcing people to chose between civilization singular and civilizations
> plural?  Why not have both?  In fact, the very statement of the problem in
> these terms only perpetuates the dichotomies and their
> enforcement.

Yes, the one of the weakest aspects of Wallerstein's thought--quite present in
the civilizations quote I posted yesterday--is the idea that if one social
system is operating in some geographical area, it is the only one.  Urging that
civilizations not be reified, Wallerstein reifies social system.  In fact,
social systems are much more fluid and overlapping than he indicates, in that
quote or in many other places. Furthermore 'geocultures' do not have life spans
coterminus with the systems that spawn them, which is why so many people in the
world live in mental landscapes of Christianity, Islam, etc despite the fact
that these belief systems were developed to order behavior in systems long gone.

Steven Sherman