Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Nemonemini
12 June 2003 22:26 UTC

Thanks for your interesting response. Luke's response below The issue of numerical mathematics is in one way crucial, in another an obstacle. The existence of complex numbers beyond measurement status, yet still numbers, shows their is nothing inherently wrong with the idea.
The fractal on the cover of WH&EE gives testimony to the starting point, complex systems, for the eonic model. But over time my general impression reverted to some variant of old-fashioned linear systems, though here of a weird kind. Nothing rigorous is easy achieved here, but... Such analogues aren't too helpful, specifically, but the 'system return' effect of the 'eonic cycles' is not inherently different from simple feedback, i..e response to some drift condition, a straightener. Not a coincidence that Norbert Weiner began to get edgy about teleology when he produced his remarkable stuff, way back.
Note the 'freedom effect' in the eonic emergence of democracy, i.e. it emerges twice, the first time fading away, the second... we will see.
My point is that the simple is overlaid on the complex. The eonic sequence is a 'simplicity' emerging through diversity and complexity.

In general, the resemblance to Kant's Antinomy shows the connection between models and some putative philosophy of history, e.g. the 'evolution of freedom'.
That is, causality is a root idea of physics. But it is not a binding idea in mathematics. Two operators, both 'causal', but operating in tandem generates much of the eonic effect. One seems anti-causal with respect to the other.
This basic clue is hard to take further, but the basic idea can reach some mathematical domain even as it seems to contradict the physical domain.

Let me note that students of electronics have long since produced their own version of this, in nothing more complex than the systems theory of devices, e.g the on-off switch. There is a complete contradiction made explicit in the model of such a device.
And that brings the realm of Quantum Mechanis to mind. Scientists tend to howl if anyone applies these ideas outside their domain, but just looking at the overall contents of the theory, we see that measurement is a separate process to the inherent functioning of the system, and this causes a bugaboo of complications to the basically causal system of the wave equation.
Some variant of that, mathematically, would be the best hope for the eonic model. I note in passing that the math used by electronics theories came to birth in Heaviside's work and also in Dirac's system of QM.
In general the eonic model makes one think of all this and of simple Fourier Analysis. with its phasing character. But I can't quite see how to proceed there, and adopted the tactic of an autonomous model using its own concepts. If there is a mathematical realization of that I wouldn't be surprised.

We have forgotten that Kant studied science first, and responds in many ways to Newton. His insights are basic.
To prove that they are basic, read the first page of Stephen Hawkings A Brief History of Time and find the classic antinomy of beginning-no_beginning clearly stumbled through by a major cosmologist. What can I say? There are limits to our inherent thinking apparatus once we impinge on 'total systems'. But the interesting thing is that Hawkings tries to move past this antinomy with a concept of imaginary time!
Complex numbers again.
So I have faith that there are natural methods for the eonic model, but the plain fact is that we may be stumbling on the noumenal, i.e. the limits of what we can know.

Scientists are like hysterics, they have the answer to many things in QM, at least in potential, but they fly into a kind of 'turtle down' mentality whenever people try to use their stuff. Not surprising given the mystical mumbo jumbo at the fringes.
The above remarks are pretty conservative, so I think I am roughly on track here. Alwasy check the creators. Heisenberg, Schrodinger, and Bohr were very much at home in the general humanities and knew the relation of what they were doing to considerations of Kantian issues. This is not to bring in Kant, as such. He might confuse the issue of QM. But QM has essentially stumbled on a variant of what Kant was wrestling with, although you won't find many physicists who will admit it. Save maybe N. Herbert in his little gem about Quantum Mechanics.

I have a pretty wide background in math, but one thing I have learned is, don't get tricky, especially with humoungous math models adapted to phenomena that are allergic to them. That was the point of Prignone, the seminal effort to find something, anything, in an extension beyond normal physics adaptations where everything works out.
Once out of the range of the siamesed physics-math  domain, all these smart nerds start to flounder, because everything starts from scratch. But Prignone no doubt hit on the basic context for biology, i.e. 'self-organization'.
But all that still isn't quite over the threshold.
The basics of the eonic model are 1. counting on your fingers
                                                  2. with the basic ability to whistle a tune. (the latter can be waived, if you can't whistle a tune)
The real job then is to visualize what is happening as we 'keep time' counting on our fingers through the eonic sequence. That is a generalization thus of a deterministic model, which shows a collapse of the causal principle, or its generalization into something directional. And the model will assist in that visualization, like seeing three scene changes in a play, stretched over a global theatre.