Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Boris Stremlin
13 June 2003 04:33 UTC

The bit on entropy dissipating from North to South is intriguing - I have
been toying with this idea for a while myself as a necessary corrective to
much of conservative-leaning political philosophy/world history which
addresses the issues of political order. In a detailed study the
mechanisms of transmitting entropy would have to be clearly outlined - and
they are not just (or purely) economic.  Much of this literature stresses
the necessity of tension - cosmos vs. society, economy vs. polity, science
vs. humanities, etc., as the necessary price for the maintenance of order,
and cite the alleviation of such tensions as the cause of social collapse
and chaos.  The question they generally fail to raise is that the cost of
maintaining such tension is very unevenly distributed - and here the
core/periphery model is very useful.  The repressed returns, and in far
more damaging ways in the periphery than in the core.

On the other hand, the abolition of such tension by fiat doesn't strike me
as particularly useful.  The central political importance that
conservatives attach to the above dichotomies is vastly overstated (and
therefore, usually enforced by force, or at least the threat of force),
but so is the insistence on irreducible unity.  What is to be gained by
forcing people to chose between civilization singular and civilizations
plural?  Why not have both?  In fact, the very statement of the problem in
these terms only perpetuates the dichotomies and their enforcement.  Ditto
materialism/idealism.  I'm not sure about "Buddhism as materialist" either
- this contention is meaningful only as a contrast to an equally reified
"idealist Christianity".

--

Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu