Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Andre Gunder Frank
12 June 2003 04:09 UTC

I am working on my ReORIENT THE NINETEENTH CENTURY, a sequel to my book
that ended in 1800. This one goes from 1750 to 1914 -- mabey later.
It combines several old and new analytical things.
of course WST and WST as reformulated in ReOrient. But also analysis of
the MULTILATEAL system in which place in the system is more important
than what one can do on ones own, eg by technology, production etc.
And ENTROPY as the disorder, both physical and social, that is generated
by the growth process but it dissipated from te North to the South,
especially taking advantage also of the multilateal position and links
mentioned above. In a crude sense/vesion of the analysis, MULTILATERALUTY
determines the benefits that can be drawn from LOCATION,LOCATION, LOCATION
in the system, and ENTROPY is the cost of the process, but some [much?] of
which can be and is DISSIPATED from those who generate it to those -
unfavorably located - who are obliged to absorb that cost, and thereby
''appear'to be disorganized by war,cconflict, crime, poverty etc.
This is a materialist analysis of a materialist world. Where the Buddhist
concenpts mentioned in the questiin come in, I do not know, but would be
glad to be enlightened. Buddhism is materialist also, however.

gunder frank

Threin it also draws on PirogeneOn Sat, 7 Jun 2003,
Shelton Gunaratne wrote:

> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:00:09 -0500
> From: Shelton Gunaratne <gunarat@mnstate.edu>
> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> Subject: Merging WST and complexity science
>

> Has anyone made a serious attempt to merge the world-system theory with
> Prigogine's theory of dissipative structures?
>
> Wallerstein has written favorably about Prigogine's affirmation of
> irreversibility, unpredictability, probability, nonlinearity, etc., which
> are easily applicable to the far-from-equilibrium world-system and its
> component nation states.
>
> Geographer Debra Stroessfogel has been an avid advocate of the merger of
> WST and Prigogine's theory although I have not been able to locate any
> study reflecting this long-overdue merger.
>
> The arrogance of the Age of Rationality led us to believe in the
> "superiority" of Occidental positivism. Prigogine implicitly points out the
> relevance of Eastern metaphysics to explain the power of nature over
> humanity. The Buddhist concepts of impermanence, self-organization,
> interdependence, etc., are integral elements of Prigogine's theory.  Is it
> not time to merge Eastern thought with Western "science"?
>

> Shelton A. Gunaratne, professor
> Mass communications department
> Minnesota State University Moorhead
> 1104 Seventh Ave. S.
> Moorhead, MN 56563
> U.S.A.
>
> Tel.:  (218) 236-4035 (office)
>          (218) 233-0453 (home)
> Fax: (218) 291-4333
> E-mail: gunarat@mnstate.edu

               ANDRE    GUNDER      FRANK

Senior Fellow                                      Residence
World History Center                    One Longfellow Place
Northeastern University                            Apt. 3411
270 Holmes Hall                         Boston, MA 02114 USA
Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Tel:    617-948 2315
Tel: 617 - 373 4060                     Fax:    617-948 2316
Web-page:csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/     e-mail:franka@fiu.edu