Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Thomas D. [tom] Hall
09 June 2003 04:11 UTC

Some papers that address this issue are:

Peter Turchin and Thomas D. Hall.  2003.  "Spatial Synchrony among and within
World-Systems: Insights from Theoretical Ecology."  Journal of World-Systems
Research 9:1(Winter):37-64.

Christopher Chase?Dunn and _____.  Paradigms Bridged: Institutional
Materialism and World?Systemic Evolution, 2002.  Pp. 197-216 in Structure,
Culture, and History:  Recent Issues in Social Theory, edited by Sing C. Chew
and J. David Knottnerus.  Lanham, MD:  Rowman and Littlefield.

Chase-Dunn, Christopher and _____.  Comparing World-systems to Explain Social
Evolution, 2000.  Pp. 85-111 in World System History:  The Social Science of
Long?Term Change, edited by Robert Denemark, Jonathan Friedman, Barry K.
Gills, and George Modelski.  London: Routledge.

The latter two are quite redundant.  All address the issue as an aside to
other issues, but contain a number of other references of use.

tom hall

>===== Original Message From Shelton Gunaratne <gunarat@mnstate.edu> =====
>Has anyone made a serious attempt to merge the world-system theory with
>Prigogine's theory of dissipative structures?
>
>Wallerstein has written favorably about Prigogine's affirmation of
>irreversibility, unpredictability, probability, nonlinearity, etc., which
>are easily applicable to the far-from-equilibrium world-system and its
>component nation states.
>
>Geographer Debra Stroessfogel has been an avid advocate of the merger of
>WST and Prigogine's theory although I have not been able to locate any
>study reflecting this long-overdue merger.
>
>The arrogance of the Age of Rationality led us to believe in the
>"superiority" of Occidental positivism. Prigogine implicitly points out the
>relevance of Eastern metaphysics to explain the power of nature over
>humanity. The Buddhist concepts of impermanence, self-organization,
>interdependence, etc., are integral elements of Prigogine's theory.  Is it
>not time to merge Eastern thought with Western "science"?
>

>Shelton A. Gunaratne, professor
>Mass communications department
>Minnesota State University Moorhead
>1104 Seventh Ave. S.