Re: Evolution Discussion - Landon's and Prugovecki's Posts
by Nemonemini
13 May 2003 04:39 UTC

There is no real contradiction here. First, my definition of the transition from evolution to history is formal, and defined as a particular perspective on a vast process for which the terms can be flexible.
My definition in that fashion resembles the standard one, that history 'began in sumer' with the invention of writing.
It is also true that evolution is still going on, but that is misleading because we confuse the term with Darwin's.
The point is that the descent of man, we suspect, is more like 'eonic evolution' that the Darwinian. That means that man is constructing his own evolution, but in the context of a macro factor.

The issue of randomness is simply up in the air with respect to the eonic model. There is no statement one way or the other.
Consider a feedback device, like a themostat. It simply switches on a certain intervals, irregardless of what other things might happen in the environment, quite at random.
So the historical drift in world history is considerable indeed. The eonic effect simply shows something operating over the long range, to reset direction.

The contingency factor is obvious by comparing the periods of transition to the periods in between. Look how much is lost in these between periods. We should have had democracy since Greek times. But by the Hellenistic the first emergence of that was gone and never recurred again until the next transition. So the random factor is hardly absent from the eonic effect.