Re: Evolution Discussion - Landon's and Prugovecki's Posts
by Nemonemini
12 May 2003 09:44 UTC

The relationship of history and evolution is currently incoherent, due to the confusions of Darwinism, with its purely genetic interpretation. In my interpretation is I look at history as a transition from evolution to history, in the sense of moving from something passive to something active. Thus the 'evolution of freedom' might be seen as such a transition. The eonic model shows one way to harmonize the two contradictory ideas.

My point was merely the danger of Darwinian thinking applied to culture, especially in the context of nutty confusions surfacing in terms of Judaic culture and Darwinism, and the dangers of that in a context like that of Israel.
Judaic exceptionalism mixed with Darwinian thinking, especially the tacit variety couched in religious or other language, as indicated in Progovecki's link, is a current version of Social Darwinist paranoia. And it is dangerous.
Jews are smart people, but I am often surprised, they don't seem smart enough to see the flaws in Darwin, or get out of the rut of their own (beguiling, to be sure) historical myths.  People like Stephen Gould, whom I admire, is a good example. He simply cannot get out of the rut of positivist Darwinism. He got the whole thing wrong.
It is important to wake up a bit.

As to the other matter, I am always suspicious, looking, say, at current Israel politics, that dangerous people are all set to take Darwin into their own hands and exterminate the opposition in a deadly combination of religious, Darwinian, and political thinking. We seem to have to live through each successive phase of the dangers of Social Darwinism, now this new Judaic version.
What can I say? If you think Darwin got it right, these horrors keep resurfacing.

It is essential therefore to be clear that extermination and social competition generally do not constitute evolution, whatever there basis as an historical sideshow.
The sad fact is that Darwin seems to appeal to a lot of stupid people! Natural selection is always the case by default. But as the Holocaust shows, unchecked natural selection killed off six million people who were culturally progressive.
The regressive dangers of unchecked natural selection could not be more dramatically illustrated.
Left to its own natural selection would probably cause evolutionary decline.

The point is to see that something completely different is going on in history, in the sense of evolutionary theory. The irony is that Judaic history shows a connection to the eonic effect, but only at the Axial connnection point. The whole point of these religions, spiritual issues apart, was to connect humanity as one. But the hopeless confusions of Darwinism have about destroyed that idea, I guess.

As to smart Jews, some people get into a tizzy there. Who cares? 'Smart people' are not an evolutionary vanguard, blah blah.
It just doesn't work that way, as the case of Israel shows ironically. IT DOESN"T WORK THAT WAY.
I have to throw up my hands. Darwin's appeal to dumb people is extraordinary, and it makes them think they are smart.

We could as well be glad some group of humanity pulls ahead to some degree and is able to contribute to the whole.

But real evolution is not, NOT, darwinian, and the current regime of Darwinian thinking will probably end up wrecking the whole contribution of Jews, witness the lost cause of Isrealite politics.