Re: PFPC
by wwagar
12 May 2003 22:20 UTC

        Once again Boris Stremlin's post is both constructive and very
much to the point.  I have never expected anyone to agree with me, but, as
he generously notes by his reference to my 40-year-old phrase "the will to
agree," I have long hoped that most forward-looking folks would eventually
come to agree with each other.  The will to agree is mostly about "will,"
about the emergence of a new mind-set, for want of a better term, in which
even congenitally dissenting dissenters would come to realize the need to
set aside some of their well-reasoned grounds for dissent, and would
strive to compromise, reconcile differences, and work for a common front,
as in the ill-starred but nevertheless admirable international effort to
erect a "popular front" against the seemingly invincible menace of
fascism in the 1930s.  In my judgment as a historian, that historical
moment, roughly from 1936 to 1940, was no less terrifying than anything we
confront today.  With hindsight we can see that the obliteration of that
particular bogeyman was only a decade away, but very few observers in 1940
foresaw it.

        On Stremlin's specific comments, first, I did not mean to imply
that current (or maybe even future) semiperipheral regimes would blaze
trails.  I was thinking of large numbers of progressive elements within
semiperipheral countries.  In any event, as I understand it, China and
India are now widely regarded as semiperipheral countries in their own
right.  China, for sure.  But do not confuse the regimes in power there in
early 2003 with the prospects for revolutionary thought and action by many
independently Left Chinese and Indians over the next few decades.  The
regimes are of course almost hopelessly compromised by their complicity
in a world-system dictated largely by the imperatives of megacorporate
capitalism and Euro-American imperialism.  But I was not thinking of
regimes.

        Chase-Dunn, Hall, and Boswell have generally shared my assumption
of the need for a democratic world-government as a transitional strategy
to full local autonomy.  Of course they do not endorse every word I have
ever perpetrated on the subject, nor has Wallerstein, but if I am wrong on
this, I would be glad to be corrected by them or anyone else.  Well,
that's a damned lie, I would not be glad!  But I would certainly and
respectfully concede that I have misunderstood them.

        Would a central government willingly surrender power to regional
and local authorities after they agree that its work has been done?  I
think I have already answered that.  It would probably be reluctant to
admit its obsolescence, and might even fight back, but if so, if it was
really and finally obsolescent, then it should receive the thanks of a
grateful humankind and face whatever retirement plans or firing squads it
might richly deserve.  My main point is that only an authentically
representative, deliberative, and universal regime would have the vision
and wisdom to determine when the playing field is really equal, when all
peoples have had a fair chance to contribute to the global weal, when our
single biosphere is truly safeguarded against theft and rape by every
segment of our species.  Might there be savage conflict and civil war?  Of
course.  The whole history of our species is punctuated repeatedly by
self-serving fratricide.  But there has also been inconceivably vast
progress in our perception of the means, the goals, and the ends of human
redemption.  I refuse--at least so far!--to despair.

        Warren