Re: WSN--what's up?
by John Leonard
06 May 2003 09:07 UTC

I originally joined wsn only in self-defence, after a member of this list serv [ein gewisser Prof. Täusch], chose it as a forum to trash a book I had published, The War on Freedom.

Recently I felt impelled to rise again to the defence of Israel Shamir, whose book I am preparing for publication, after he was assailed on this list serv - once again, nix apropos Wallerstein.

perhaps i'm being defensive; or perhaps my skewering of the ad hominem fallacy cut too close to the bone this time for the pseudo-scholastic mind?

Long ago, rhetoric and logic were dropped from the curriculum in our "educational system." Clear thinking techniques are a threat. They could allow any intelligent person to cut through the cumulus of cant and come straight to clear, correct conclusions on their own, independently of media spinmasters and pseudo-academics, as they tirelessly rehash their politically correct consensus. When truth needs only to be true, how severely the currency of footnotes, diplomas, professorships, and "mainstream" oracles will be debased!

This exchange itself has been a miniature comic display of pseudo-scholarly anthropology. It's collegial to affirm the group totem by pillorying politically incorrect taboos, at length and off topic - but fie on the demon spirit that has the impertinence to talk back!

If I'm still not making sense, not to worry. You may be terminally immune anyway.