Project for the First People's Century
by E. Prugovecki
01 May 2003 12:47 UTC

On April 29, 2003 Dr. Robinson Rojas <robinson@rojas.net> wrote:

Just as a crazy idea: what about creating a counter project, something like
"Project for the First People's Century"? I visualize this counter project having a website where to gather papers and articles analysing and exploring ways of gathering public opinion to block the US imperialist project. I could offer to host that project in RRojas Databank website. Another piece of "thinking aloud":the US imperialist dream of the American ruling elites in the 21st century have been the nightmare of the people in Latin America during the 20th century (I am Chilean, by the way)...
Dr. Robinson Rojas (University of London, London South Bank University)
Co-director RRojas Databank (www.rrojasdatabank.org) and
Puro Chile. The Memory of the People (www.purochile.org)

Having suggested in my last two postings that qualified WSN political and social scientists write about the PNAC "blueprint for US global domination," I welcome the proposal of Dr. Robinson Rojas of creating a "Project for the First People's Century." I have spent yesterday several hours studying some of the many links in the RRojas Databank (www.rrojasdatabank.org). There is indeed a tremendous wealth of information on that website.

This is a definite plus from the point of view of the serious student of current affairs. However, from the point of view of making the general public aware of what the present US administration has in store for all of us, it can also be a minus, since more casual readers might get overwhelmed when confronted with so much interlinked information.

Another problem to keep in mind is that, as in the case of WSN, articles appearing on leftist websites and discussion networks preach to the already converted. Hence, their authors should also make an effort to have them published in some of the mainstream media. (The Economist, mentioned in Dr. Rojas's last posting, is a good example.)

In any event, it would be desirable to hear comments about Dr. Rojas's proposal from those subscribers to WSN who are interested in more than just sharing their feelings with those already sympathetic to them.

Eduard Prugovecki
Professor Emeritus
University of Toronto
http://individual.utoronto.ca/prugovecki/