A Lakota who often is called a Sioux as an insult: LEONARD PELTIER ~ AMessage about Peace ~ Leonard Peltier Statement 3-15-2003
by pat lauderdale

Regarding the indigenous issues, I still am listening.  Here is relevant
information for now.  The message was posted on March18, 2003 by a
Lakota who often is called a Sioux as an insult.
http://www.freeleonardpeltier.org/leonardpeltiermessageofpeace3152003.htm
Title: FREE LEONARD PELTIER ~ A Message about Peace ~ Leonard Peltier Statement 3-15-2003

0_tp_row2e.gif (1376 bytes)

                    Bulletin Board           Add to Favorites          Photo Gallery         PST

Peltier The Man
Home Page
Who is Leonard ?
Leonard's Voice
Leonard the Artist
Leonard the Writer
Passing the Blanket
Multi-Media Room

Peltier Support

Get Involved
Support Groups
On-Line Store
Supporter Links
Join our  E-Mail List
Contact the LPDC

The Peltier Case
Peltier Facts
Case Updates
Plan of Action

Case Background
FOIA Documents
Support Statements
Reference Materials
Download Page
Reading Room

The Defense Committee
About the LPDC
Speakers Bureau
Send this Site
LPDC Newspaper

Get LPDC E-News!
Your E-mail Address:

Download Outreach Materials

The Official Website of Leonard Peltier and the LPDC

Leonard Peltier #89637-132
US Penitentiary - Leavenworth
PO Box 1000
Leavenworth, Kansas 66048-1000

A Message from Leonard Peltier

 Thank you for giving me a chance to share a part of myself on this day of peace.

It is important that you have taken this time out of your day and your busy lives to share with the world your commitment to peace and a vision for change. This may be the most important thing that you will ever do.

This day is no different than that day in 1975, when I stood up to FBI-assisted violence on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. What is at stake now is not very different from then. The American government strong-armed the people of Pine Ridge, too. Their interest wasn’t to protect the Indigenous People living in strife and poverty, who even to this day can’t make ends meet, but to support multinational corporations that even now are only after the natural resources from a land rich in uranium. This mentality that "Might Makes Right"… It’s nothing new. This administration is turning back the clock and is doing nothing but playing "cowboys and Indians".

Let’s be honest. There is much to be gained by taking Iraq by force - for the U.S., for the multinational corporations - and very little, if anything, of the administration’s actions is about liberating Iraq’s people from a tyrannical regime. Iraqi oil is the key. It means everything in this so-called "War on Terror". But the greed doesn’t end there. Reports in the last few weeks show private American corporations - profiteers like Vice President Dick Chaney’s former employer - are already in place, ready to take government contracts to rebuild a war-ravaged country blown apart by American bombs and to service military personnel that this administration plans to house there. An occupation force, then.

War is good for business. And all of this will be paid for by you, the American taxpayer.

The world is crying out for unity and greater understanding of our Arab brothers and sisters. Without dialogue, how else will we come to understand the conflicts in the Middle East?

The French, who have plenty of experience in the Middle East, avow the Iraqi’s will not to succumb to American democracy in our lifetime. In this, the Iraqi people are no different than Indigenous Peoples everywhere. And like with the Indigenous People of this country, an understanding of tribal factions within the Arab world is needed. Respect for their culture and spiritual beliefs is required. Acknowledgement of their sovereignty is fundamental.

America may choose to ignore our efforts today, but we - the People - will carry the wounds of killing innocent people in the name of American might.

My own case ended in violent action by the U.S. government and the FBI. In whose interest was this done? For the people of the Pine Ridge Reservation? For Native People throughout this land? For Indigenous Peoples throughout the world? In the interest of the American public? This sort of aggression nearly destroyed my People.

Let my life serve as a reference point to all of you today. I urge you to consider the knowledge Indian people gained in the face of terrorism. If we had unified early on, worked together rather than as separate nations, we may have prevailed. We must encourage our allies, the world’s nations that are opposed to military action, to come together in unity.

These are our brothers and sisters, Aunties and Uncles, we go to bomb. They are us and we are them, together in this great circle of life. I encourage you all to continue together, united. Speak with one voice. Say NO to war!

I leave you with the words of an Iroquois leader, Leon Shenandoah, "I’m working for the Creation. I refuse to take part in destruction."

Aho. Megwetch.

Leonard Peltier

Crazy Horse Newspaper

Current and Past Supporters of Justice for Leonard Peltier
UNIQUE VISITORS SINCE 3/6/2003

Last updated April 11, 2003

Copyright © 2003 Leonard Peltier Defense Committee. All rights reserved.
This site is UNDER CONSTRUCTION ~ Site Reconstruction by Peacepipe Network
For comments or questions concerning this web site, please contact webmaster@freeleonardpeltier.org