Re: new immanence - Chirac cheats!
by Threehegemons
18 February 2003 15:22 UTC

In a message dated 2/18/2003 8:19:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Damian.Popolo@newcastle.ac.uk writes:

> Yes it does. If a bucnch of people manifest because of pressures form the
> media, and not because of a well thought critical stance, for them to shut up
> it is enough for the media to shut up - just like for
> Afghanistan (or
> Chechenya, for that matter)

I'm not sure exactly what 'the media' has been like in Europe, but in the US,
practically the only mainstream attention the anti-war movement received
pre-F-15 were claims that its leadership is dominated by unpatriotic communists
and anti-semites.  Bush actually went to court to undermine the NYC
demonstration, an exceptional step for a US president.  Nor was the Democratic
Party encouraging people to demonstrate.

As Berlusconi is himself a media tycoon aware that his pro-war stance is
unpopular, I doubt the Italian media was imploring people to demonstrate.

While Blair has isolated himself politically through his hawkishness, its not
my impression that the British press actively endorses an anti-war movement.

Steven Sherman