Re: new immanence - Chirac cheats!
by n0705590
18 February 2003 16:39 UTC

Dear Steve

>As Berlusconi is himself a media tycoon aware that his pro-war stance is
unpopular, I doubt the Italian media was imploring people to demonstrate.

These details might be a bit esotherical: I don't argue that the masses think
what the media says, just that if an issue keeps popping up people will feel a
need to have a position related to it simply because they know about it, which
might actually be divergent from how the media portrays the issue. Personaly,
I thought nothing of North Korea until I got to read (and friends who know a
lot about it talked to me) about it. If you don't believe me, try this one:
pick a random manifester in the next London marches and ask him or her what
they think about the war in Chechenya (sorry, I forgot that Putin now is a
good, peace loving, guy). As far as I can tell Italian media were rather
neutral on the issue, in the sense that a number of means is pro and roughly
the same number is anti...even if important dailys such as La Repubblica have
a clear anti-war stance (and, importantly, the Vatican). The media don't form
public opionion: people buy a paper already knowing what they want to read.
And they know exactely what paper will tell them what they like.

>While Blair has isolated himself politically through his hawkishness, its not
my impression that the British press actively endorses an anti-war movement.

Surprisingly, the British press is probably the most involved with the
anti-war movement in the whole of Europe. Not even the French press, might I
dare to say, has adopted an anti war stance as radical as parts of the UK
media. In my opinion this could also be behind the fact that the London
demonstrations were the most impressive - not because the media teach people
what to think, but because of the traditional role of tabloids in the
mobilization of masses. If you look at the images, a considerable amount of
people were holding Daily Mirror first pages. The Daily Mirror is the second
tabloid in the UK, with a daily circulation of well over 2 million (I suggest
you look at their website, it can be quite funny). Recently, it has been
feauturing articles of John Pilger on a weekly basis. I might even dare to say
that traditionally they have been in the need of saying the opposite of what
their main rival, The Sun, says, in order to keep their costumers...thus this
clear anti war stance. The Guardian, with over 200.000 copies daily, is also
anti-war. The relative dominance of the Mirror and the Sun is crucial to
understand their respective editorial positions (if the Sun is anti euro, the
Mirror is pro euro, and so on), and the consequent mobilization of masses.
Moreover, the London events also need to take into consideration a more
general frustration with Dog Dog Blair, a frustration which, as it happens,
finds in the anti-war stance an ideal battle terrain.

Damian.Popolo@newcastle.ac.uk writes:

>> Yes it does. If a bucnch of people manifest because of pressures form the
>> media, and not because of a well thought critical stance, for them to shut
up
>> it is enough for the media to shut up - just like for
>> Afghanistan (or
>> Chechenya, for that matter)
>
>I'm not sure exactly what 'the media' has been like in Europe, but in the US,
practically the only mainstream attention the anti-war movement received
pre-F-15 were claims that its leadership is dominated by unpatriotic
communists and anti-semites.
> Bush actually went to court to undermine the NYC demonstration, an
exceptional step for a US president.  Nor was the Democratic Party encouraging
people to demonstrate.

>As Berlusconi is himself a media tycoon aware that his pro-war stance is
unpopular, I doubt the Italian media was imploring people to demonstrate.

>While Blair has isolated himself politically through his hawkishness, its not
my impression that the British press actively endorses an anti-war movement.

>Steven Sherman

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University