Re: new immanence - Chirac cheats!
by n0705590
18 February 2003 13:19 UTC

A few comments:

>A few notes--I'm beginning to wonder about this dichotomy I keep
hearing--immanence, good; transcendence, bad.  I thought postmodernity was
supposed to deconstruct binary oppositions.  In the nineties, we always heard
constructivism, good;
>essentialism, bad--whatever happened to that one?

True.  But frankly I'm in no mood of digging into it.  Maybe another day.

>The moral impeachibility (or not) of the multitude has little to do with
whether or not its actions may have impact in the present or the future.

Yes it does. If a bucnch of people manifest because of pressures form the
media, and not because of a well thought critical stance, for them to shut up
it is enough for the media to shut up - just like for Afghanistan (or
Chechenya, for that matter)

>Wars are won or lost on the cultural plane--i.e., one side becomes convinced
it cannot win, or trying to continue to fight would have excessive
consequences.  This was even true of  Japan's fight with the US in World War
II--atom bombs intimidated
>Japan definitively, rather than actually disarm their army.  If the US  is
brought to heel, it will involve a number of factors--those it is directly
fighting with, 'allies', 'world public opinion', domestic politics.  All of
these have to be
>watched and analyzed to understand how the situation is unfolding.

Yes. That is true.

>The key differences between the present and the cold war--Western Europe does
not believe it urgently needs the protection of the US, and the weak economic
position of the US.

I agree.  I would add that the loss of hegemony is well represented in the
fact that vioelence now has to be used to create compliance.  Consent, the
most important part of hegemony, does not seem to be enough.

>Steven Sherman

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University